Logo Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook
You are here:CampaniaProvince of Avellino ➩ Bagnoli Irpino

Bagnoli Irpino, Province of Avellino, Campania, Italy





Surrounded by wonderful woods of walnut and chestnut trees and beeches, Bagnoli offers the visitors a beautiful place to relax and to hike in the nearby mountains. Beautiful excursions that can be organized in the Northern side of the Picentini Mountains.

The name of the town comes from the latin balneolum (meaning small bath, or even diamond-shaped pool used in the past to slake lime), transformed in late Latin Banjolum, then Bagnolo and finally Bagnoli.

Info

Altitude: 654 m a.s.l Territory: mountainous * Population: ca. 3300 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 83043 -- Phone Area Code: 0827 * Patron Saint: San Lorenzo * Frazioni & Localities: VILLAGGIO LACENO, ROSOLE

What to see

  • The Aragonese Castle: The ruins of the Castle date back to 1560 and were built by Troiano Cavaniglia that wanted to create a new defensive palace for his family.
  • Church of the Assunta, of the 17th century, with a huge wooden chorus made between 1652 and I657 with carvings representing the Old and New testament
  • Church of San Domenico: The ancient church was built during the 14th-15th century. The present building dates back to the late 15th century and includes also a rectangular Renaissance cloister
  • Monastery of Santa Caterina da Siena, built in the second half of the 17th century
  • Church of S. Margheritadating back to the 16th century, with a stone portal and late-baroque ornamental motifs
  • Medieval Tower, located on the top of a hill in Terraturo, built probably during the 15th century as a defensive watch tower to control the access along the nearby road

Accommodation in Bagnoli Irpino

Province of Avellino

History

The name of the town first appears in a document of 1001 AD. Many feudal lords followed, among them German Diopoldo, count of Acerra, that lost its fiefdom in 1211. Then Frederick II gave it to Tommaso D'Aquino and his descendants (1251-1273).

In 1293 the fiefdom past to the French Iamvilla Family. In 1445 Alfonso I of Aragona sold the fiefdom for 11,000 ducats to a Spanish knight, Garcia Cavaniglia, whose family remained there until the end of the 16th century. The last lords before the abolishment of the feudal system were the Strozzi. Between 1861 and 1864, after the unity of Italy, brigandage was quite common.