Conza, Province of Avellino, Campania, Italy
The ancient "Compsa" of the Irpinians was occupied by Hannibal in 216 B.C., then passed under the Romans.
In medieval times the fiefdom belonged to the Balvano, the Gesualdo and the Mirelli families. After the 1980 earthquake Conza was completely destroyed and rebuilt in the area called Piano delle Briglie. The old Conza is now almost a ghost town, and the new center lies in the valley 5 km away.
Altitude: 594 m a.s.l Territory: mountainous * Population: ca. 1500 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 83040 -- Phone Area Code: 0827 * Patron Saint: S. Erberto * Frazioni & Localities: Nuova Conza
Where to stay
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook: