Lapio is an agricultural center in the heart of Irpinia, in a valley on the left bank of the Calore river.
Its name comes from the adjective lapideus, meaning "stony" and is already mentioned in a document of 894 AD. Since the year 1000 the town followed the events linked to the Filangieri family, who owned it for about seven centuries, until 1806, the year when feudalism was abolished.
Altitude: 500 m a.s.l
Territory: hilly * Population: ca. 1800 inhabitants
-- Zip/postal code: 83030 -- Phone Area Code: 0825
* How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Avellino East, at 8km from the main road of Ofantina, towards Chiusano * Frazioni & Localities:
Arianello, Casale Monaci, Cerreto, Cortejoanna, Tognano
What to see
- The Church of Santa Caterina with a beautiful stone portal and bell tower on the side of the fašade
- Palazzo baronale: Residence of the Filangieri family from the 16th century.
- The Church of Carmine
- The Church of Santa Maria della Neve: begun in 1600, the present construction goes back to the beginning of the century. Inside the church are kept paper pulp statues symbolizing religious figures of the new testament. On Easter they are exhibited to the public during a folk event.
- Convent of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The ruins of the ancient religious complex can be seen in the area called Le Marmore
Where to stay
, Aosta Valley
, Campania, Emilia Romagna
, Friuli Venezia Giulia
, Trentino - Alto Adige