The capital of its province, Cuneo is located at the foot of the Maritime Alps at the confluence of the Gesso and Stura di Demonte river where it emerges from the Valle Stura.
Called the town of the seven sieges, it still retains the plan of a military town, once surrounded by massive walls, with large squares, porticoed streets and beautiful palaces of the aristocratic families of the past.
Cuneo was founded in 1198 by the people that wanted a new place safe from the yoke of feudalism, and was in the early years ruled by three consuls: Pipino from Vignolo, Berardo di Valgrana and Pietro Rogna from Quaranta. In 1230, it was under the dominion of Milan, then of the Angiò, Saluzzo, and Visconti, until in 1382 the town decided autonomously to join its destiny to the Savoy House.
In the following centuries Cuneo was sieged 7 times (as a matter of fact it is also known as the town of the Seven Sieges) and taken only once in 1641 by the French.