Manfredonia, Province of Foggia, Puglia, Italy
Manfredonia is a town and archiepiscopal see 35 km northeast from Foggia, situated on the coast, facing east, to the south of Monte Gargano, and giving its name to the gulf to the east of it. It was founded by King Manfred, from whom he took its name, in 1263, and destroyed by the Turks in 1620.
Altitude: a.s.l -- Population: ca. 55,000 inhabitants
-- Zip/postal code: 71043 -- Phone Area Code: 0884
-- Patron Saint: San Lorenzo Maiorano celebrated on 7 february
-- Frazioni & Localities: Pastini, Riviera Sud, Ruggiano, San Salvatore, Siponto, Tomaiuolo
What to see
- The medieval castle of the Angevins and parts of the town walls.
- San Leonardo, nearer to Foggia, belonging to the Teutonic order, is of the same date. This marks the site of the ancient Sipontum, the harbour of Arpi, which became a Roman colony in 194 BC, and was deserted in favour of Manfredonia in the 13th century, having become unhealthy owing to the stagnation of the water in the lagoons.
- In the church of San Domenico, the chapel of the Maddalena contains old paintings of the 14th century.
- Three kilometers to the southwest, the fine cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore di Siponto, built in 1117 in the Romanesque style, with a dome and crypt.
Where to stay
, Emilia Romagna
, Friuli Venezia Giulia
, Trentino - Alto Adige
, Valle d'Aosta (Aosta Valley)
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook:
copyright italyworldclub 2000-2014 - all rights reserved - contacts