San Giovanni Rotondo, Province of Foggia, Puglia, Italy

San Giovanni Rotondo was the home of Saint Pio of Pietrelcina from July 28, 1916 until his death on September 23, 1968. The Padre Pio Pilgrimage Church was built in devotion to the saint, dedicated on July 1, 2004.
san-giovanni-rotondo coatofarms


Altitude: 565 m a.s.l -- Population: ca. 26,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 71013 -- Phone Area Code: 0882 -- Patron Saint: San Giovanni Battista celebrated on 24 June -- Frazioni & Localities: San Salvatore


The town was founded in 1055 on the ruins of a previous Italic village of the 6th century BC, where a round temple (from which the name Rotondo) was extant, probably devoted to the worship of Janus, the two-faced god. Throughout the Middle Ages it was an important administrative center.

The recent history of the place is almost identified with the life and miracles of Francesco Forgione (May 25, 1887 - September 23, 1968), canonized Saint Pio of Pietrelcina, who joined the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin and was popularly known as Padre Pio, and lived in San Giovanni from 1916 to his death. He had the stigmata for many years, and when it bled, the blood smelled of perfume or flowers. He acquired fame as a miracle worker and clairvoyant. On June 16th 2002 Pope John Paul II proclaimed Padre Pio as "Sanctus Pius a Pietrelcina".

What to see

Province of Foggia

Where to stay

Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook: