|Regions in Italy Tuscany Province of Massa-Carrara|
Province of Massa-Carrara
Toscana (Tuscany) Region, Italy
The Province is named after the two main towns in its territory, Massa and Carrara with province capital at Massa, and is the northermost among Tuscan provinces.
Except for a short coastline of beaches covering the municipalities of Montignoso, Massa Carrara and Versilia, the province is mainly mountainous and hilly, with the typical Apuan Alps, whwre the famous Carrara marble is extracted.
The province is divided into two zones: the Apuan Riviera and the Lunigiana. Its economic relevance, once mainly based on the production of the white Carrara marble, has now shifted to the importation and fabrication of blocks of marble and granite.
Area: 1,156 km² -- Population: about 200,000 inhabitants -- Population Density: 176 per sq km -- Zip/postal codes: 54100 -- Phone Area Codes: 0585, 0187 -- Car Plate: MS -- Communes: 17 communes -- Official Website: http://portale.provincia.ms.it/ -- According to an administrative reform from 1 Jan 2014, the Province is scheduled for suppression and fusion with the Provinces of Livorno, Lucca and Pisa.
The Comuni in the Province of Massa-Carrara
Aulla | Bagnone | Carrara | Casola in Lunigiana | Comano | Filattiera | Fivizzano | Fosdinovo | Licciana Nardi | Massa | Montignoso | Mulazzo | Podenzana | Pontremoli | Tresana | Villafranca in Lunigiana | Zeri
Where to stay
The province was established in 1859 with parts of the former Duchy of Parma (the Parma Lunigiana) and former duchy of Modena (the Este Lunigiana, Garfagnana and municipalities of Carrara, Massa and Montignoso), and was originally included in the Emilia Romagna region; only in the population census of 1881 it became a Tuscan province.
In 1923 the municipalities of Bolano, Calice al Cornoviglio, Castelnuovo Magra, Ortonovo, Rocchetta di Vara, Santo Stefano di Magra and Sarzana were included in the province of La Spezia, and the Garfagnana went to the province of Lucca.
In 1938 the towns of Massa, Carrara and Montignoso, were joined in the one municiality of Apuania, that also became the new name of the province. Then in 1947 the municipality of Apuania was dismembered and the province returned to its original name of Massa-Carrara, with capital Massa.
|copyright italyworldclub - all rights reserved - contacts -- Search this site|